Looking to Offer Wedding Guests Something More than Cake?
A dessert bar is perfect for couples looking to provide their guests with a variety of treats and fun. And Freedom Bakery has something to tickle the pickiest of wedding goers. See Our Menu for flavor selections.
What to Consider for a Dessert Bar or Table
The presentation options for desserts can be overwhelming. Below are some things to consider as you put on your sweet thinking cap.
The main issue with the table setup is getting the necessary stands and platters to create the table you're envisioning. White ceramics are what Freedom Bakery and most rental companies carry, to achieve a more stylized look, you would likely need to purchase your stands.
Unless you are entirely against the concept of having a cake, we highly recommend having one on the table. It's the most sensible way to create a wedding feel for the table. There are also some traditionalists who feel it's not a wedding unless they get a piece of wedding cake. So while not necessary or mandatory, it's nice to accommodate these guests if possible.
A cake in proportion to the desserts.
The image above features a 12+9+6 cake (serves 100). It's the largest cake we would have on a table with desserts. The desserts that we offer are a good size at 1.50 to 1.75" inches.
If you want to ensure everyone gets a chance to have cake, a cake sized for 30% to 40% of the guest count should be enough. We normally recommend the smaller cake as it doesn't matter if cake runs out since it's a dessert bar! Here are a few reasons why you won't need a significant amount of cake:
Second, desserts are visually more scrumptious, so guests are naturally going to be drawn to the desserts. Also, we make a great tasting cake, but cakes are something quests see on a regular basis, so when compared to the other delicious treats, many will opt for the desserts since that's not something they get a chance to enjoy regularly.
Third, we recommend cutting 1/2 size cake slices to serve guests. Doing so makes the cake a part of the dessert offering. The actual cut would be a 1 x 1 x 4.25" slice and placed on one side of the dessert plate. When you place that plate on the dessert table, the guests will know the intention is for them to place other treats on the plate. Cutting 1/2 size would mean that you have the double number of servings.
Budgeting for a Dessert Bar
We usually suggest 2 to 4 dessert items per person, selecting one item from each of the four dessert types we offer, cream puffs, tartlets, shooters & blondies/brownies; we find this results in a good variation in flavors and presentation. For larger weddings, we would recommend 1 or 2 more items or flavors.
The cost per "Set" (1 from each of the four dessert types above) is $10-$12. A typical dessert bar we create would include an 8" cake with three dessert pieces per person. Total cost for 100 guests would be approximately $940
- 8" buttercream cake with standard decoration - $110.00
- 240 dessert pieces (60 "sets") - $705 for desserts. An 8" cake will serve around 20 guests, so you will need desserts to serve 80 guests.
- Delivery & set up - $100 to $150
Dessert Bar Items & Flavors
(1) Fresh Fruits w/ Bavarian or Lemon Cream base, (2) Latte Ganache topped with mocha bean, (3) Wild Maine Blueberry preserve w/ White Chocolate Cream Cheese
(1) Pistachio Almond & Fruits - Gluten Free, (2) Mango Cream & Strawberries - Gluten Free, (3) Banana Cream Pie, (4) Raspberry Chocolate Cream Pie, (5) Cherry Cheese Cake, (6) Blueberry Cherry Cheese Cake, (7) Cookies & Cream, (8) Ganache Brownies, (9) Jack Daniels Chocolate & Cream
(1) Lemon Cream dusted w/ powdered sugar, (2) Mango Cream dusted w/ powdered sugar, (3) Boston Cream, (4) Hazelnut Cream w/ cocoa dust, (5) Peanut Butter Cream w/ cocoa dust, (6) Salted Caramel Cream w/ Caramel Drizzle, (7) Chocolate Cream w/ cocoa dust, (8) Chocolate Cream coated with Latte Ganache
(1) Snickerdoodle Blondie, (2) Caramel Seasalt Blondie-Brownie, (3) Belgian Chocolate Brownie, (4) Belgian Chocolate Brownies w/ Walnuts
Vanilla, Salted Caramel, Mango, Chocolate, White Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream, White Chocolate Cream Cheese.
Raspberry & Lemon Buttercream, Boston Cream Pie, Cookies & Cream, Raspberry & Amaretto Buttercream, Ganache & Peanut Buttercream, Latte Ganache & Chocolate Buttercream.
Cupcake and Dessert Bar Minimums
- Cupcake and dessert bar items have their indicated minimum count based on per flavor. For example, you will need to order a minimum of 12 lemon cream puffs. If you want a second cream puff flavor, you will need to order a minimum of 12 of each flavor.
- $450 product minimum of cupcake or dessert orders for any delivery or set-up services.
- *Single tier price will also vary if your cupcake or dessert bar does not minimum order. 6" is $90 and 8" is $120.