A dessert bar is perfect for couples looking to offer their guests variety and fun. See Our Menu for flavor selections. The presentation options for desserts can be overwhelming. Below are some things to consider as you put on your sweet thinking cap :-)
- How stylized do you want the set up to be? The main issue with the table set up is getting the necessary stands and platters to set up a table that you're envisioning. White ceramics is what we and rental companies carry for the most part. To achieve a more stylized look, you would likely need to purchase the stands.
- A cake will provide a natural focal point for the dessert table. Unless you are absolutely against the concept of having a cake, we highly recommend having one on the table. It's the most sensible way to create a wedding feel for the table. There are also some traditionalists who feel like it's not a wedding unless they get a piece of wedding cake, so while not necessary or mandatory, it's nice to accommodate these guests if possible.
- Cake size in proportion the desserts is an important consideration. The image above features a 12/9/6" cake. It's the largest cake we would have on a table with desserts. The desserts that we offer are real life desserts that are about 1.50 to 1.75" in size.
If you want to ensure everyone gets a chance to have cake, a cake sized for 30 to 40%% of the guest count would be enough. We would normally do less than that since it doesn't matter if cake runs out since it's a dessert bar. Few reasons on why we don't need significant amount of cakes:
First, the cake is served after the first set of guests have gone through the dessert table. After your cake cutting ceremony, the cake is taken to the kitchen and prepped for serving. While this is happening, the first set of guests which are normally those with a sweet tooth will have gone through the dessert table before the cake slices are available for enjoyment.
Second, desserts are visually more scrumptious, so guests are naturally going to be drawn to the desserts more. Also, we make a great tasting cake, but cakes are something we see on a regular basis, so when compared to the other delicious treats, many will opt for the desserts since that's not something we get a chance to enjoy regularly.
Third, we recommend cutting 1/2 size to serve guests. Doing so would make the cake a part of the dessert offering. The actual cut would be a 1 x 1 x 4.25" slice and placed on one side of the dessert plate. When you place that plate on the dessert table, the guests will know the intention is for them to place other treats on the plate. Cutting 1/2 size would mean that you have the double number of servings.
DESSERT BAR PRICING
We normally suggest 2 to 4 pieces per person and starting with 1 selection from each of the 4 dessert types we offer: cream puffs, tartlets, shooters & blondies/brownies. For larger weddings, you would add 1 or 2 more flavors.
The cost per "Set" (1 from each of the 4 dessert types above) is $9. A typical dessert bar we do would include an 8" cake with 3 dessert pieces per person. Total cost for 100 guests would be in the range of $750 to $800:
- $95 for 8" buttercream cake with standard decoration.
- $540 for desserts. The 8" cake will serve around 20, so we need desserts to serve 80. Assuming 3 pieces per guest, we get 240 pieces which would be 60 "sets".
- $100 to $150 for delivery & set up.
- Settings (stands & platters) are not included.
See page 2 of the Cake & Dessert Menu for flavors, prices and additional information.
- Tartlets: (1) Fresh Fruits w/ Bavarian or Lemon Cream base, (2) Latte Ganache topped with mocha bean, (3) Wild Maine Blueberry preserve w/ White Chocolate Cream Cheese,
- Shooters: (1) Pistachio Almond & Fruits Gluten Free (2) Mango Cream & Strawberries Gluten Free, (3) Banana Cream Pie, (4) Raspberry Chocolate Cream Pie, (5) Cherry Cheese Cake, (6) Blueberry Cherry Cheese Cake, (7) Cookies & Cream, (8) Ganache Brownies, (9) Jack Daniels Chocolate & Cream
- Cream Puffs: (1) Lemon Cream dusted w/ powdered sugar, (2) Mango Cream dusted w/ powdered sugar, (3) Boston Cream, (4) Hazelnut Cream w/ cocoa dust, (5) Peanut Butter Cream w/ cocoa dust, (6) Salted Caramel Cream w/ Caramel Drizzle, (7) Chocolate Cream w/ cocoa dust, (8) Chocolate Cream coated with Latte Ganache.
- Blondies & Brownies: (1) Snickerdoodle Blondie, (2) Caramel Seasalt Blondie-Brownie, (3) Belgian Chocolate Brownie, (4) Belgian Chocolate Brownies w/ Walnuts.
- Classic Buttercream Mini Cupcakes: Vanilla, Salted Caramel, Mango, Chocolate, White Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream, White Chocolate Cream Cheese.
- Specialty Mini Cupcakes: Raspberry & Lemon Buttercream, Boston Cream Pie, Cookies & Cream, Raspberry & Amaretto Buttercream, Ganache & Peanut Buttercream, Latte Ganache & Chocolate Buttercream.